French Businesses Urge Digital Economy Development
22nd July 2009
Source: L’association des acteurs publics et privés de l’information numérique professionnelle (GFII), France
Priority Area Identified: Dissemination and Re-use of Public Digital Data
Paris : 22 July 2009
GFII issued a press release announcing the publication of a Report outlining proposals for actions to further the development of the French digital economy – “ Propositions pour le développement de l’économie numérique ”, June 2009.
The report lists thirteen specific actions falling under four priority areas. One of the priority areas highlights the importance of encouraging the dissemination and re-use of public digital data.
Four Priority Areas to modernise the economy through the development and use of digital content:
- Accelerate the implementation of digital projects societal dimension to promote the democratization of the use of digital technology in the areas of health, education as well as for disadvantaged populations
- Encourage the dissemination and reuse of public digital data
- Support the dematerialisation of exchanges and processes in French SMEs
- Support business innovation in the sector and the transformation of e-business users
Access the report with full list of proposals and recommendations (French language)
The proposals were put together by nine French organisations representing the digital content private sector and value added telecom sector organisations and digital content representative organisations including SMEs. Together, these nine signatory organisations represent 1500 companies.
The signatory organisations urge the French Government to take concrete actions to support and promote the digital content economy. They call on the French government to recognise the value of the digital economy as a strategic sector with the leverage for economic growth for the benefit of all French citizens.
The report welcomes the initial measures by the French Government such as the 6 May announcement by the French State Secretariat for Digital Economy and the October 2008 plan France “ Numérique 2012 ” report, which aims to "put France among the great digital nations by 2012." But, they strongly urge the French Government to avoid delays and to be on the offensive in implementing measures to support the development of the Digital Economy. The reports points to the successes in other countries such as the United Kingdom, Germany and the United States and draws on these good practices.
The nine signatory organisations to the proposals include:
- ACSEL - Association de l’économie numérique
- AFNET - L’Association Francophone des Utilisateurs du Net
- APECA - L’Association des Professionnels Européens de la Carte
- ASIC - L’Association des Services Internet Communautaires
- FFT - La Fédération Française des Télécoms
- GESTE - Le Groupement des Editeurs de Services en Ligne
- GFII - Le Groupement Français de l’Industrie de l’Information
- Renaissance Numérique - Renaissance Numérique est le Think Tank de l’Internet citoyen en France
- Syntec informatique - Chambre Professionnelle des Sociétés de Conseil et de services informatiques